Saturday, October 5, 2013

Be Careful, Your Daughter is Watching

Tonight I spent the evening with two women that are younger than me.  For the sake of anonymity I won't identify them, or their mother.  I will say that they are both in their thirties.  One of the young women was asked by another guest at the party where she lives, just in casual conversation.  The young woman answered the question with a lie!  She claimed to live in a neighborhood that would be considered nicer than the one she actually lived in!  I was shocked!
The other woman was observing several young children playing and said in a very loud voice "I should have the doctor remove my ovaries now!"  She has in the past commented to me that my children were "good reasons to use birth control."    Now, this is quite disturbing to me, but here's the kicker---these women are relatives and I can't avoid seeing them.  Their mother raised them in a very feminist environment, basically emasculates her husband and is ultra materialistic.  My goodness, how tonight's observations got me thinking about how I influence my little girl!  I want her to always have pride in the home her husband provides for her---not in a materialistic sort of way, like look at what fancy neighborhood I live in, but in a good steward of what the Lord has provided for her through her husband sort of way.  I want her to build a godly home for her family.   Am I doing that for my family now?  What does she see me do?  I want her to always see children as a blessing from God, never ever something that is considered a nuisance or an inconvenience!  Again, what is she seeing me do? 
Mother, you are your daughter's best teacher of what it means to be a godly wife and mother.  Your examples, your reactions, what you say and how you say it will influence your daughter more than any other person in this world.  Do you want to hear your daughter say "I should have the doctor remove my ovaries now!"  when she looks upon a young children playing one day?  Do you want her to lie about where she lives one day because sinful pride gets in the way of her being grateful to God for what He has provided for her?  It is our duty as Christian mothers to never ever be the example that leads our daughters to this type of thinking!  The next time I am feeling overwhelmed, sarcastic, or short tempered, I will think of these two women.  I will pray for them and I will also ask God to help me be a godly example for my daughter, so I NEVER hear her think like they do!

1 comment:

  1. They are just talking what they are taught, they probably don't even realize the truth of it all........yet. However, I know that age has a way of bringing regret in people as I've seen many women finally realize the errors of their youthful days but it is too late. Some may never admit though.

    I get comments all the time about my desire for children. One most recent was "why don't you go get a baby doll and play with it, my goodness." I was really taken aback by this because of who it came from.

    You just keep showing your children that you are happy to be a mother and fulfill the Biblical role of a wife/mother. Seeing you enjoy your calling will be what they remember, more than words!

    ReplyDelete