Friday, October 4, 2013

Unexpected Blessings!!!

God has  given me many, many unexpected blessings this past week!  My dear, sweet grandmother fell while grocery shopping and is now going to be in a nursing home.  Her nursing home is more of an assisted living and more like a 5 star hotel, but nonetheless, she had to leave the home my grandfather built with his own two hands for them many years ago.  My grandmother is no longer able to drive, so I was given her car.  It's a blessing because my dear hubby's car was dying a slow, EXPENSIVE death!  Winter in Chicago is NOT easy on any vehicle, but hubby's was in serious danger of not making it through.  So, hubby took my SUV, and I am driving Gram's car.  There is something about the way the elderly take care of their vehicles.  Gram had NO crumbs in her car, and guess what??  It smells like lavender in there!  My Gram was also a hobby seamstress and had beautiful Husqvarna/Viking sewing and embroidery machines as well as two Babylock sergers.  I was able to purchase all of those machines from her!  She no longer sews, and they were all just sitting collecting dust, but it is a blessing that I was able to purchase them from her for two reasons.  One reason is her new nursing home costs $5000.00 a month to stay at and she will run out of money eventually (yes, you read that price right)!  Her rehabilitation center she stayed in prior to the nursing home ran her $14,000.00 for the month out of pocket, private pay.  The reason for this was Medicare deemed her "not making significant progress" and therefore did not cover the expense!  The woman is 88 years old.  Should she be jogging laps around the place?  Still makes me furious!
The second reason this is such a blessing is purely selfish.  I simply adore my grandmother and so often still look at her as such a godly example of biblical womanhood.  How awesome that I get to sit and work at the same machines she made my grandfather's suits and her beautiful dresses on!  Even though I'm 41 years old, I feel like I get to play "grandma" when I use her sewing machines!  I don't know if I will ever have the skill to make my hubby a suit for work, but I will certainly be taking some classes so I can increase my sewing skills!
It's a blessing in a way too that my Gram is now in a nursing home.  We thought she was very independent prior to her fall, but we are finding out more and more just how lonely she was the past 5 years without my grandpa.  Being in there home helping my Dad clean it out to sell it has been difficult.  While they did not have a lot materially, they had SO much in the Lord and each other.  Each room of their home holds so many family memories and so much of the life they built together.
My grandpa was a very hard worker and very frugal, so it is hard to see their savings deplete from the costs of the nursing home, but then again, her care is what the money is there for to begin with.  Please pray for me, as I have wholeheartedly offered to have my Gram move in with us when she is out of money.  It makes sense that she lives with us, as I am home, homeschooling my kids and would be able to assist her.  I am not naïve as to what it takes to be a caregiver, especially with two young kids being homeschooled in the house, but would love some prayers!  I think it would be so neat to have my kids experience having a servant's heart in taking care of my Gram!  She is one of my life's blessings!

1 comment:

  1. The costs are so crazy! My grandmother is now in the nursing home and it is costing $700 a day!! She will have to go home soon and she can't even walk or go to the bathroom on her own, so I'm not sure how that is going to work out.

    So glad that you are able to use those things and be blessed by them! :-)

    Bev

    ReplyDelete